Life in Fukuoka "English" Vo.20

2020.08.17[Mon] 09:00

Other Topics(その他)


Today I want to talk about Obon, which is generally what comes to mind when one thinks about August in Japan. Have you heard of Obon? I’m guessing most of you have unless you are brand new to Japan, but just in case, I’ll give you a little intro to it. Obon is a Buddhist custom, and it is believed in Japan that during this period, the spirits of one’s ancestors return home. As such, loving family members and relatives gather to give thanks to their ancestors and pray that those in this world live safe and peaceful lives. Obon is typically the 4 days from the 13th to the 16th of August however in some parts of the Kanto area, it is between the 13th and the 16th of July. Regardless, this is why on TV around these times that you hear about the Obon Rush because if everyone heading back to their hometowns. In the US we don’t really have anything like this the closet approximation I could make might be Thanksgiving. Families typically gather for Thanksgiving dinner, meaning a lot of people go home over that holiday causing a rush like the Obon rush. However the feeling is completely different. In both cases you’re often gathered with family and there seems to be a lot of food, I’ve participated in the Obon custom here, but with Obon there is sometimes a bit of sadness remembering those who have died and well as nostalgia recalling those times past. Thanksgiving seems noisy, busy and loud! That’s just my experience though!


Information from Fukuoka City on the special fixed relief benefits

The application deadline for the 100,000 yen special relief benefits is August 31st. Applications were sent to everyone who registered by April 27th as a Fukuoka City resident. Please make sure you get your application in by the deadline! If there is anything that you don’t understand please call 092-401-0826 for help or information. Again that number is 092-401-0826. This phone service is available Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm and consultation is available in English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and Nepali.

And Love FM is also running a special broadcast called the 5 minute guide to understanding the special fixed relief benefits. The English broadcast for that is on every Monday and Saturday at 1:53 pm.


Multilingual phone interpretation hotline for ward offices

Next, I have information on a phone interpretation service available to foreign residents. Whether you need help with your resident’s card, aren’t sure about what you need to do when you move house, or have questions about national health insurance, taxes or even garbage, there is a phone interpretation service available for you to use to check with the ward offices.

Interpretation is available in 18 languages, among them are English, Chinese , Korean, Vietnamese and Nepali, and the phone number is 092-753-6113. Again, that is 092-753-6113. When you use this number, after you have spoken to someone at the interpretation center, you will be connected to your ward office. Make sure you tell the interpreter in which ward you live and what you are calling about. For example, you might say something like “ I live in Higashi ward and I need the certificate showing proof of earnings.”, in which case you’ll be connected to the person in charge of issuing those papers for the Higashi ward. From there, you, the ward office person and the interpreter can continue your conversation. And, if you go to the ward office in person, don’t worry, just use your phone to ring up this service if you need any interpretation help.


  • Colleen
  • Colleen
  • 誕生日:11月11日
    出身地:USA Detroit, MI
    興味のある事:I'm studying patisserie and languages